Cultural Tips – What to Do and What to Avoid in the Villages Around Rinjani
Cross-cultural understanding should be a must nowadays since traveling has been a life style of people. The simplest reason is every country in the world has its own customs which born and practiced by societies, what polite in a country might be in contrary in another land. A light awareness will help travelers to act and treat local people properly. Following are general guidelines, what to do and what to avoid during staying period in Lombok.
What to Do
- Smile and great people, especially elders.
- Shake hands, gently.
- Be sure to sit at the same level as other people.
- Be polite to each other.
- Use only the right hand to eat and hand objects or money to someone.
- Accept hospitality and food, you don’t have to eat and drink.
- Dress modestly. Women should keep upper arm and things covered.
- Bend down and walk around seated people when you need to pass.
- Say good bye when you leave.
What to Avoid
- Enter houses, buildings or village without being invited.
- Wear shoes inside a house.
- Point at people with your finger. Don’t ever use your foot to people.
- Point the bottom of your feet directly at people while sitting on the floor.
- Touch anyone’s head.
- Step over people or food on the floor.
- Eat with your left hand, or use your left hand to give or accept object or money.
- Raise your voice, especially in anger.